Friday, May 11, 2012

Election Judge is a one-day part-time job

Back in February I received training as an election judge.  As a poll worker I will earn $120 for a 15-hour shift.  We can't leave during the shift.  We bring our own meals or someone can deliver a meal to us.  We sit on pillows and wrap a blanket around our tired old bones because we are sitting in an unheated elementary school gymnasium.  This is what I've been told to expect on Primary Election Day, June 5th, 2012.  We use about 600 election judges in this county and most of them are over 60, many are in their 70s.  What I wasn't able to discern during our training class was WHY these old people become election judges: for the money, out of civic duty, or just to have something meaningful to do for a few hours.  Heck.  I am doing this for the first time and I really have no idea why.  Perhaps it is to fill a day with something other than house work and yard work.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...