Thursday, April 19, 2012

Earth Day is 42 year's old

I remember the FIRST Earth Day, April 22, 1970.  I probably remember it because I was in college at the time, so I was very "involved" with whatever the hot social causes were at the time.  But it really doesn't seem like 42 years have gone by, and that is typical, I guess, for a person as he or she ages.  Time flies, and nothing seems as far back as it really is.
Earth Day and Earth Week have become more and more important over the years and 175 countries of the World now observe this special alert on the state of our planet's health.  The emphasis back in 1970 was environmental damage caused by oil spills, open garbage dumps, toxic chemicals in our soil and food, air pollution and water pollution from industrial factories, etc.  Today, Global Warming probably tops the list of our survival concerns, along with deforestation, sea surface temperatures, drought, and many other issues.  I realize that many of our environmental concerns today are either the result of Global Warming or contribute to it.  I hope the youth of today find the enthusiasm, intelligence, and political will to correct the many problems facing the World.  I won't be here but I would like for my children and grandchildren to survive in a future World.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...